This is a great trip for the first time visitor to Italy. You’ll see incredible architecture, breathtaking art, historical treasures and taste sumptuous food. Discover eternal Rome, captivating artistic Florence and enchanting Venice.
ITALY’S GREAT CITIES
7 Nights accommodations
Headsets throughout the tour
Welcome and farewell dinners at a local restaurant; guided sightseeing, visit the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Square and Basilica, the Colosseum and Roman Forum
Take pictures of the Leaning Tower
Guided walking tour, visit Michelangelo’s David, the cathedral, and Signoria Square
Walking tour including Juliet’s Balcony and the Arena
Private boat ride; guided walking tour, visit St. Mark’s Square and Basilica, Doges’ Palace and the Bridge of Sighs; glassblowers’ demonstration
Walk along Este Castle to the cathedral
DAY 1 Arrive in Rome, Italy (D)
- Time to rest or start exploring the “Eternal City.” At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions and leave the hotel for a special welcome dinner with wine at one of Rome’s lively restaurants.
DAY 2 Rome (B)
- Sightseeing with your Local Guide starts with a visit to the VATICAN MUSEUMS and SISTINE CHAPEL (arranged next morning if closed today), world famous for Michelangelo’s ceiling paintings and The Last Judgement. Continue to monumental ST. PETER’S SQUARE and BASILICA. Cross the Tiber and visit the COLOSSEUM and the ROMAN FORUM, where Roman legions marched in triumph. Then, time for independent activities and exciting optional excursion possibilities.
DAY 3 Rome–Pisa–Florence (B)
Follow the Aurelian Way along the Tyrrhenian coast to Pisa. Here, take your pictures of the amazing Leaning Tower, 180 feet high and no less than 12 feet out of the perpendicular. Then, on to Florence, the splendid capital of Tuscany. You may wish to join an optional dinner outing to a fine Tuscan restaurant.
DAY 4 Florence (B)
- Follow your Local Guide to the ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS with Michelangelo’s celebrated David and the magnificent CATHEDRAL. Admire Giotto’s Bell Tower, the Baptistry’s heavy bronze “Gate of Paradise,” and sculpture-studded SIGNORIA SQUARE. The afternoon is free. Florentine leather goods and gold jewelry sold by the ounce are attractive buys.
DAY 5 Florence–Verona–Venice (B)
North to Verona, medieval setting of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. See Juliet’s Balcony and the well-preserved Arena. Stroll around the picturesque market square. Tonight, you are in Venice, a powerful magnet for romantics and art lovers from around the globe.
DAY 6 Venice (B)
Start the day in style by PRIVATE BOAT to meet your Local Guide. Highlights of your walking tour are ST. MARK’S SQUARE and the byzantine BASILICA, lavish DOGES’ PALACE and the BRIDGE OF SIGHS. Also watch skilled GLASSBLOWERS fashion their delicate objects in an age-old traditional manner. Afterwards, enjoy Venice at your own pace or join an optional cruise to the charming island of Burano. Tonight is your chance to sample the city’s fine restaurants.
DAY 7 Venice–Ferrara–Rome (B,D)
- A scenic drive today through the lush plains of the mighty River Po to Ferrara. Stroll past the imposing Este Castle to the marble cathedral before continuing to Rome across the wooded Apennine mountain range, and past the vine- and olive-clad Tuscan Hills, home of the popular Chianti wines. This evening, enjoy a farewell dinner with wine at a local restaurant to celebrate the success of your vacation.
DAY 8 Rome (B)
- Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
When planning your trip allow one extra day before tour date for travel between USA and Europe.
For more information, call 1-800-475-9339.